There is a record of Freemasonry in Brixham dating back to 1781, when The Lodge of True Love & Unity was formed. There are very few organisations which are able to trace their origins back over a period of over 230 years, a reflection perhaps on the original foundations of the order which were laid all those years ago.
The first lodge meeting in Brixham took place “in a private room on Brixham Quay” on 17th October 1781. By 1801 membership had increased and a new lodge room became necessary. A site was secured at Great Gate (opposite the bottom of Rea Barn Road and no longer in existence) on the spot where the ancient Alms House once stood.
The present Masonic Hall was built in 1886 and is located in Church Hill West, Brixham.
Christmas Draw Night
Lodge members their partners enjoyed a relaxed and fun evening at Brixham Yacht Club for the Lodge's annual Christmas Draw Night. As well as being a most enjoyable evening, this last social event of the year raised £330 for the Lodge's charities and we thank all who contributed.
We would also like to thank the Yacht Club executive (some of whom served the meal) and all the staff for their friendly and professional service. The Yacht Club and dining tables were beautifully decorated and this, along with the lovely meal and service, contributed to a wonderful atmosphere and great night out.